So many are concerned about having the ideal “summer body.” Why is it that what we do to keep our bodies healthy only matters during the summer, after we’ve shed our multiple winter layers? Health and wellness should be a year-round goal and journey!
This year, aim to kick off you long-term wellness goals…not just to achieve your “summer body,” but to truly work towards lasting and wholistic wellness.
1. Reduce inflammation | The typical SAD (Standard American Diet) is pro-inflammatory; making modifications to your typical eating patterns can have a significant impact.
– Eliminate or reduce fast food consumption.
– Eat Vegetables! | All of them, whenever possible, both cooked and raw.
– Choose quality protein sources such as lean free-range poultry, eggs, pork, grass-fed beef, and fish. Consume protein the size of palm, for a serving that is relative to your body size.
– Choose healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish.
– Choose whole grains, cooked at home over processed grains like bread. Some excellent choices are: quinoa, brown rice, farro, millet, barley, and lentils.
– Alternate grains with other starches such as butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, and sweet potatoes.
– Limit alcohol consumption.
2. Be Active | Aim for 30-45 minutes of activity 3-5 days per week!
– Schedule time on your calendar for a workout, and stick to it!
– Choose activities that you enjoy! This will help to keep you motivated.
3. Hydrate | Whether you are in a dry or damp climate; whether it is cold or hot; whether you’ve sweat or just sat on the couch…hydration is key!
– Choose water over sugar sweetened beverages like juice and soda.
– Drink regularly throughout the day, rather than waiting until you’re parched or your mouth is dry.
4. Recharge | Just like all of our electronics…we need to recharge by getting at least 6-8 hours of QUALITY sleep each night.
– Aim to minimize blue light exposure before bed…put down the phone, turn off the TV, put down the Kindle.
– Try to mediate before bed, or reflect on the day with a brain dump worksheet. I like to “dump” things I have to do the next day, chores, and positives I experienced that day.
Working towards heath and wellness should be the goal! Rather than focusing solely on the perfect “summer body,” embracing a lifestyle that is sustainable for longer than three months to achieve health and wellness is ideal! Reach out with questions as to how Wellness Cucina can guide you along your wellness journey!