Goal Setting For the New Year; be SMART about setting goals!
S: Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
M: Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
A: Achievable (agreed, attainable)
R: Realistic (relevant, reasonable)
T: Timely (time-based, time limited)
1. Be as specific with your goal as possible to best focus your efforts and feel truly motivated to achieve it. If you can answer the 5 “W” questions then you are on your way. What? Why? Who? Where? Which?
2. Assessing progress via a measurable goal helps you to stay focused, meet deadlines, and feel excitement as your goal approaches. Answer questions such as: How much? How many? How will I know when it is accomplished?
3. Maintaining your sights on a goal that is realistic and attainable is key to your success. You should be stretched just a bit out of your normal comfort zone, but it should still be possible. Ask yourself: How can I accomplish this goal? How realistic is this goal based on other factors that may affect it?
4. This goal should drive you forward, align with your other relevant goals and positively serve you. Does it seem worthwhile? Is it the right time? Does it match your other efforts/needs?
5. Set and target date, to ensure that you are working towards a deadline. This will help to prevent everyday tasks from taking priority over your longer-term goals. Ask yourself: When? What can I do 6 months from now? What can I do 6 weeks from now? What can I do today?
Start the New Year off well by setting SMART goals for yourself and your resolutions, whatever they may be!